Maté Madness


I have always thought that coffee was a popular drink. However, I think I have encountered an even more coveted drink on this journey - at least in this part of the world. This refreshment is known as maté (mah-tay).
Basically, maté is a green tea drink. But in Argentina and especially here in Uruguay, it is much more than that - seemingly, it is an institution, and its popularity knows no bounds! A quick google search yields the following information on maté:
"its physiological effects are similar to (yet distinct from) more widespread caffeinated beverages like coffee, tea or guarana drinks. Users report a mental state of wakefulness, focus and alertness reminiscent of most stimulants, but often remark on mate's unique lack of the negative effects typically created by other such compounds, such as anxiety,...´jitteriness´, and heart palpitations."
From my personal observations, this is what I can tell you about maté. First of all, it can be served as a warm or cold drink, but most people here in Uruguay and Argentina seem to drink it warm. The libation is contained in a small gourd (which typically has a stand to hold it upright). This gourd is where the packed greenish maté leaves are placed. People often carry a thermos containing hot water along with this gourd, pour the water into the gourd, and sip the magic maté mix with pure delight out of a special straw called a bombilla. The bombilla is a nifty contraption because it separates the maté liquid from the maté tea leaves. Maté is celebrated as a shared beverage. Therefore, you often see people in a park or square (or fill in the blank with the setting) sharing a maté. And, especially in our time in Montevideo, it seems as though every other person on the street carries a maté gourd and thermos, anticipating their next opportunity to savor this beloved refreshment.
As the google search yielded, maté is supposedly an energy and happiness booster. I had the opportunity to try maté in its traditional form for the first time a few days ago, and I would have to say that I concur with the suppositions! G´day, maté...

1 Comments:
Such a strange contrast in the first photo: guy with cell in one hand, Argentine native drink in another.
Post a Comment
<< Home