Monday, July 03, 2006

Winter Wonderland

Greetings from the other side of the equator! I am sitting in a smoky internet cafe in bustling, yet beautiful Buenos Aires. Our Fulbright group arrived yesterday morning after an 11 hour overnight flight from Washington DC. We took a 4 1/2 hour city tour yesterday that introduced us a bit to this capital city. We visited places like the Plaza de Mayo (which is where the original city was centered), La Boca (the colorful neighborhood where the famous tango evolved) and Recoleta (where we walked among the grand mausoleums of the cemetary, including the plot of the most famous "resident" - Eva Peron). My first impressions of Buenos Aires is that this is a captivating, inviting place that is alive with energy. It is home to grand architecture, a rich and varied history, and feels European and Latin American at the same time.

Our hotel is in the Microcentro which is in the heart of the city. Our hotel here is very nice - they even have bedets in the bathrooms! I think the strangest thing so far must be suddenly going from the middle of summer to the middle of winter, although at least here in Buenos Aires it is pretty mild (60´s in the daytime - very refreshing!). We´ll be here until Saturday - I will try to post another message before we leave for our next stop. I can´t load pictures from this particular computer, but will try to find one the next time around so you can see some sights from this magnificent city!

3 Comments:

At July 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! You're there! Hopefully the flight there was short & you were able to sleep! Meet any cool people yet? We miss you already! Mom is already worried about how she'll cope without your weekly conversations. I am trying unsuccessfully to convince her that I can fill that spot temporarily! (You are clearly her favorite, no shocker there!) Give me 5 weeks and maybe I can become the favored child - watch out! ;) This is my chance! Have a wonderful adventure and we'll be following you from your "Blog" here. Love you! Buh-Bye!
Love,
Brittany

 
At July 05, 2006, Blogger Karen (and sometimes Casey) said...

Bryant,
Kent is absolutely right about Mr. Lay. His money can go a long way on steaks and wine down in Patagonia.

 
At July 10, 2006, Blogger Bryant Evans said...

Thanks Brittany, Mike, Sarah, Kent and Karen! Brittany, you are funny but I think you are clearly a co favorite. Mike, I can relate to the hired help comment and was excited to be able to sample rather than serve the Argentine wine. Sarah, thanks for including me in the respiratory newsletter. That was sweet of you. And Kent and Karen, no Ken Lay sightings yet, but I will keep my eyes open!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home